Work with Us!
Join our multifaceted team, devoted to increasing awareness of the world around us!
The South Dakota Discovery Center is an educational resource, offering many types of classes that connect scientific professionals through informal learning to public audiences. Our youth programs introduce young people to all science disciplines, focusing on the importance of protecting our environment, the impact of technology, and other facets of what it means to be a citizen scientist. Educators benefit through traveling programs, STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) instruction, and hands-on professional development. Every year we work to bring new information and foundational science to the public in interesting, interactive ways, developing tomorrow’s scientific leaders and increasing scientific literacy.
STEM Educator Summer 2024 Internships
Eligibility: South Dakota students, 10th grade thru recent college graduates, are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to those looking at careers in formal and informal education. Good communication skills, willingness to work with children, reliability, and the ability to work independently are essential. Previous CPR/First Aid training is preferred.
Travel may be required. A valid driver’s license and the ability to lift up to 40 lbs are needed.
You will gain: Skills for children management, public speaking, program organization, leadership
The STEM educator plans and leads hands-on STEM programming for preschool through middle school youth at our science center and school, after-school programs, or other locations around the state. In addition, this position includes assisting with events and preparing educational materials.
Training in various STEM curricula and resources is provided, including but not limited to: Great Explorations in Math & Science, NASA GLOBE & other NASA resources, Beetles Project, and environmental education resources. In addition, the intern will be encouraged and supported to complete the National Geographic Educator Certification during this internship.
The opportunity for university credit is an option that university students can initiate with support from SDDC staff.
Work Hours: Mostly between 8-5 pm during the week, some weekend and evening events. 20-35 hours per week, May-August, 2023. Start and end dates are negotiable, but we prefer at least a ten-week commitment.
This internship can be converted into a permanent position as Museum Educator once the internship is complete.
Compensation: $12 - $16/hour, depending on the level of education and experience.
To Apply: Email a cover letter (including availability dates), resume, and names and phone numbers for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finance and HR Assistant
We are looking for a Finance and HR Assistant to support our day-to-day transactions, including bookkeeping assistance and grant administration, payroll, and HR support. This position works closely with our bookkeeper and is directly responsible to the Executive Director.
About the organization: Founded in 1989, the South Dakota Discovery Center is the state's premier institution for hands-on STEM education and professional development. Our staff is passionate about our mission to build a society of curious, scientifically literate, and engaged problem solvers. We work together to empower all Peoples of the Great Plains through hands-on experiences that inspire scientific thinking.
- Record accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Manage receipts and credit card reports
- Process checks
- Manage invoices process and follow up with clients, suppliers, and partners as needed
- Manage subawards and communicate with grantors and grantees
- Manage invoices and reports for grant-funded programs
- Coordinate employee onboarding, off boarding, and benefits administration
- Support monthly payroll
- Keep organized records
- Maintain communication with staff, bookkeeper, and funders/customers.
- With the Executive Director and Bookkeeper, review and adjust financial processes and procedures to increase efficiency.
- Provide support during budget preparation
- Other admin duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Good knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Familiarity with accounting software (preferably QuickBooks Online) and Excel
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Attention to detail, with an ability to spot numerical errors
- On-site work required at least once a week
- Basic knowledge of labor laws
- The prospective employee must consent to a criminal background check prior to signing a contract.
Compensation: Hourly rate, starting at $20 per hour.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (including phone numbers) to Rhea Waldman: email@example.com.